wayfarover – off the beaten path, local and adventurous
I started wayfarover to tell the stories from my travels that would have otherwise stayed in the super-secret pages of my travel journals. If there is one thing I love more than travelling, it is storytelling. So, while I do write an occasional guide, this blog is all about travel narratives: thoughts on ethical backpacking, self-discovery, doomed holiday romances (boy oh boy), and places that forever left an impression on me.
I make mistakes but it’s OK, because I write about them for you to chuckle at and maybe you will learn from them as I do. I tell the stories of encounters with people who changed my life, or at least tucked on my heart strings for a fleeting moment; the stories of moments when I was scared and angry and lonely; the stories of experiences that have not been photographed but have been neatly folded and tucked into that special part of my brain where patronums can be summoned from.
For those who dream of travelling – I want to inspire you to take that leap and go explore by showing you that the world is a lot less scary and a lot more wonderful than you can imagine.
For those who can’t travel – I want to take you on a digital trip with me and show you the things that you, for one reason or another, can’t see for yourself. I want to make you feel like you were right beside me during this whole journey.
For those who travel – I want to be a part of a community of creative, motivated, adventurous storytellers who can get inspired through each others’ stories and find new destinations to explore.
I want to entertain you with my mishaps, get you to consider the way you see this world, and maybe even teach you a thing or two. If you have something to say, please leave a comment! I love comments. Comments are the internet equivalent of gold stars in your homework.
Please note that I do not host guest writers on the blog, so if you’re looking to guest post, sorry, wrong address.
New to wayfarover? If you’re looking for a place to start, here are a few suggestions:
- A Song for the Desert: Notes from Iran
- Steam and Sulphur in Tbilisi on The Strangest First Date I Ever Had
- The Boy, the Sea, and Things in Between
- Don’t Stop Believing
- Llamas and Lost Words – 5 Stories from South America
- Confessions of a Global Tinderella: Notes on Dating in Brazil
- That time I lost my passport to Gangnam Style
- Travel to Iran and Other Conflicted Areas: Is It Ethical?
- The Dubious Ethics of Travelling Cheap: Is Budget Travel Selfish?
- Let’s Be Honest, I Only Went to Luxembourg to Tick It “Off the List”
- Let’s Talk about Instagram
- Don’t Expect Travel to Solve All Your Problems
- To the Man Who Grabbed My Hair
- The Land Stuck in Ceasefire: Visiting Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabakh) in Armenia
- A Day in Pristina: Why Kosovo is Your Next Favourite Adventure
- Hiking Liechtenstein: Three Days in the Heart of the Alps
- War and Peace: the Traces of Bosnian war in Modern Day Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Iguazu Falls: The Ordeal
- Chasing the Devil
Looking for travel guides? Check out my super duper detailed city guides: